Re: Government Linked Data Working Group Charter

 > a work product along the lines of a "Linked Open Data Primer for Chief
 > Information Officers."

This is the type of email that makes me glad to still be reading the WG
emails from time to time. An identified need with a proposal for a
concrete, bounded, achievable output.

There are a number of documents on open gov data and linked open data
already, so the question I have is: what aspects of these documents are
or are not useful/convincing/understandable for a government CIO? (For
one, they're probably all too long.)

To highlight my favorites on this subject (including some of my own
writing):

http://www.w3.org/TR/gov-data/

http://www.w3.org/TR/egov-improving/

http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/GovData

Mayo, Ed and Tom Steinberg. The Power of Information: An independent
review. June 2007.
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/advice/poi/power-of-information-review.pdf

Office of Science and Technology Policy, U.S.A. government. Harnessing
the Power of Digital Data for Science and Society: Report of the
Interagency Working Group on Digital Data to the Committee on Science of
the National Science and Technology Council. January 2009.
http://www.nitrd.gov/About/Harnessing_Power.aspx

Robinson, David G., Yu, Harlan, Zeller, William P. and Felten, Edward W.
Government Data and the Invisible Hand. 2009. Yale Journal of Law &
Technology, Vol. 11, p. 160.
http://ssrn.com/abstract=1138083

Tauberer, Joshua. Open Data is Civic Capital. May 2009.
http://razor.occams.info/pubdocs/opendataciviccapital.html
(and citations within!)

Tauberer, Joshua. Building a Civic Semantic Web. August 2009. Nodalities.
http://www.talis.com/nodalities/pdf/nodalities_issue7.pdf

Uhlir, Paul F. The socioeconomic effects of public sector information on
digital networks: Workshop Summary. U.S. National Committee for CODATA
Board on Research Data and Information Policy and Global Affairs. 2009.
http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=12687

I think all of the relevant information has already been written
somewhere by now, but it may not be in a useful form for this case
(despite everyone's attempt to try).

- Josh Tauberer
- CivicImpulse / GovTrack.us

House as props."