UN LOCODES / LOD Call

As I mentioned on the LOD call, I think the UN LOCODE data base would be a good international framework for PSI. The issue is that location information (cities, etc.) are one coordinate system and latitude and longitude is another coordinate system.  For grid points to "share" meta data the translation must be accurate.

Open access to PSI means the knowledge necessary to generate a query must be low (e.g. a mouse click).  (For US Viewers: Sorry K Street, really I am. Hard to tell, but I may break down in tears any minute.)

I made a working example from the list of US Weather Observation Stations. The data base description is : http://tinyurl.com/3xkh4cm (WeatherStationsUS.html)

This "domain report" could be generated periodically, e.g. every 30 days.  This would serve the administrative needs of Government Agencies and make it possible for consumers to select points and groups of points in a familiar fashion - knowing Place Names (when applications are asking for latitude and longitude) and vice-versa.

I used OWMS and "Transparency Principles" BTW.

--Gannon