From: Erik Wilde <dret@berkeley.edu>
To: public-egov-ig@w3.org
Cc: Sean McGrath <sean.mcgrath@propylon.com>
Sent: Tue, August 31, 2010 8:27:38 AM
Subject: Re: Honest question

looks like people out there are still suffering from XML fever...

http://dret.net/netdret/docs/wilde-cacm2008-xml-fever.html

i think sean is correct in saying that the problem may not be XML itself, but
the expectation that it solves all the hard problems which are inherent to
distribution and decentralization... cheers, dret.

Sean McGrath wrote:
> Mike Norton wrote:
>> Am I the only one in the world who's been driven mad by XML? Links
>>appreciated....
> Mike,
>
> No, you are not alone:-) The biggest problem is not related to details
> of syntax etc. in my opinion. The biggest problem is the unrealistic
> expectations placed on XML to solve the worlds interoperability and
> semantic encoding problems. See http://xml.sys-con.com/node/40310.
>
> regards,
> Sean

-- erik wilde   tel:+1-510-6432253 - fax:+1-510-6425814
      dret@berkeley.edu  -  http://dret.net/netdret
       UC Berkeley - School of Information (ISchool)