Re: Fw: New Research Alert: The Fate of the Semantic Web

Hi Rachel, all

Apologies in advance to everyone I owe replies to - very hectic time on
the work and home front. I haven't forgotten anyone, just haven't gotten
to things yet.

+1 Rachel, and well said. This is an issue I've been struggling with
myself - case in point being the lack of response from group and list
members on discussing best practices in regards to specific government
service delivery technologies such as publishing information in PDF, or
designing for the mobile web.

The semantic web and linked data aspects of the IG are awesome, and
certainly I think all would agree that this aspect of the groups work is
to be applauded and recognised for the contribution it is making to the
e-Government effort. And really, I believe that a great deal of it's
success stems from outreach, vibrant discussion and having a clear goal
in mind. Yes, the work is supported by other W3C areas in terms of
development, but I think they have shown that our group enhances the
work, rather than rehashing, or relying on it.

So why can't we do the same for all of the other aspects of the IG's
interests?

In terms of practical solutions:
a) we have a wealth of information sitting in the list archives, and on
the wiki as orphaned/old pages that could be put to good use.
b) we have a primary document (http://www.w3.org/TR/gov-data/ ) still
sitting in draft that is already being referenced extensively world wide
by governments.
c) we have nothing on the practical basics, such as why one should use
standards, regardless of what standards they are. Or why improving
service delivery is a good thing.
d) We have the opportunity, and I would say, almost an obligation, to
send some 130 or so emails to the CIO's of every country in the world
inviting their relevant information management agency to join the W3C
and actively participate in the IG and other W3C activities.
e) We have internationalisation aspects we could work on - getting
things such as the Gov Data draft translated to, and circulated in, as
many languages as possible.
f) There exists the practical demonstrations of IG ideas and aims in
efforts such as legislink or citability.org - practical solutions to
practical problems such as keeping government records findable and useful.
f) Even something simple like a visual road map of e-government -
technology levels and what they enable as well as common
implementations. ("You are here: Online Engagement 1.0 - E-mail list
servers")??
g) As mentioned at last telecon, developing a e-Government Utopia eg
erehwon.gov.au (the classic "nowhere" backwards btw) site - a demo site
of a virtual government and agencies to show how implementations of
common standards and practices could be done.

All in all I feel we need to do something more. I am reminded that even
in today's day and age there are emerging nations even today - using
East Timor / Timore Leste as an example - for a nation to come into
existence and at a time when online service delivery is so common and
the entry barriers so small, how much would a nation like that benefit
in having not only best practices and standards from an organisation
like the W3C available in a single place, but access, mentoring and
outreach available from the international community ready to assist in
getting them onto the e-government path.

Just some thoughts I know, but I think Rachels point does bear
discussing, and more importantly, actioning into concrete outcomes.

Cheers

Chris