Re: Organization ontology

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 7:50 PM, Dave Reynolds
<dave.e.reynolds@googlemail.com> wrote:
> We would like to announce the availability of an ontology for description of
> organizational structures including government organizations.
>
> This was motivated by the needs of the data.gov.uk project. After some
> checking we were unable to find an existing ontology that precisely met our
> needs and so developed this generic core, intended to be extensible to
> particular domains of use.
>
> [1] http://www.epimorphics.com/public/vocabulary/org.html

I think this is great, but I'm a little worried that a number of
Western (and specifically Westminister) assumptions may have been
built into it.

What would be great would be to see a handful of different
organisations (or portions of them) from different traditions
modelled. Maybe:
* The tripartite system at the top of US government, which seems
pretty complex to me, with former Presidents apparently retaining some
control after they leave office
* The governance model of the Vatican City and Catholic Church
* The Asian royalty model, in which an informal royalty commonly
appears to sit above a formal constitution

cheers
stuart