Re: [WebTech] Types of Online Government Services - Vocabulary

Hi Vassilios, Mike, all

Oh - I'm certainly not looking to draft a new list of services. In fact,
I've done exactly as you have, and used a RDF/SKOS friendly vocab from
my own country, or elsewhere as a starting reference point to spark
discussion. (Thankyou for the links  - I'll check them out! Curious to
see if there is any different to a local gov list and a federal version
of same, countries aside). Mike makes the good point that "that WE would
consider" - definitions will vary from place to place. We in Australia
use a seperate vocab/ont. to specifically describe business functions -
and while some values are the same, they have different meanings between
the vocabs.

Mike raises another good point which is also a concern with me btw - "do
we have a definition of service". It's something we need to define
within the scope of the project, and what better way than to see how
others already have. While I could of simply asked for links to existing
ones, some project or IG members may not have them in their neck of the
woods, so posting a basic list and getting people thinking about this
from a user pov is also useful.

Vassilios - Business reference models are certainly worth looking at,
but do they tend to be concerned less with actual services and more with
service delivery functions? To be honest, I'm not completely up on
business reference models, and generally thought they were more "Our
function is to process information about 'abc' which comes to us via a
form, from a variety of places both on and offine" rather than "You can
apply for 'abc' online here using this smart form". Would like to hear
more about this though if I'm mistaken (and will of course be reading up
on them :) )

My general feeling is rather than looking at business functions per se,
that we should  instead define online services and types of online
services (to be more specific), so we can within our project outputs
say, for instance -  "When providing a transaction service via a form
online, best practice should be 'x'. When providing a communication
service online (eg: discussion forum), best practice for social media
use is 'y'. When providing an e-commerce transaction using the mobile
web, best practice should be 'z'." So to speak.

Keep the thoughts coming! And feel free to educate me. Always :)

Cheers

Chris