Re: Group Note -- content and sections outline

Jonathan Gray wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 5:23 PM, Jose M. Alonso <josema@w3.org> wrote:
>> I originally drafted the Open Government Data section a while ago and got
>> very few comments about it, so I assume people is happy with the content so
>> far. I also asked about the outline of that sections and if was good enough
>> or not and people agreed on being good and serve as basis for other
>> sections.
>
> I wonder whether it could be appropriate to allude to the Open
> Knowledge Definition in this section?
>
>   http://www.opendefinition.org/
>
> Warm regards,

Sorry for coming in late to this discussion. (Sadly I haven't had a
chance to pay much attention here though I've wanted to.)

I've posted my slides from my "Open Government Data Standards and
Expectations" session at Transparency Camp this past weekend here:
  http://razor.occams.info/pubdocs/2009-02-28_TCamp_Data_Standards.pdf
It summarizes many open gov data recommendations that are out there
(including the OKD).

Also I notice that the notion of "bulk data downloads" is missing, which
many find preferable to pushing APIs.

I often talk of open govt data in terms of the ability to "search, sort,
and transform" (e.g. into visualizations, feeds, and summaries) and that
the uses go beyond the "mandate, resources, and vision" of government
agencies (phrases I probably stole from legislative language and other
people).

Hope that's helpful.

Josh