Re: data.gov.* memo

Hello Jose,

I'm sorry it took me a few days to get back to you on this.

1. I think this is just the sort of deliverable that the group should
produce in Year 2. The whitepaper/memo format allows us to target
specific areas of interest in a short enough format for others to pay
attention to. If the progression of short documents is planned out
well enough, it might even be possible to eventually combine them all
together into a handbook, or a larger/more robust version of a new Note.

2. This particular memo is obviously targeted to someone in a
management position. I think that's fine. As we start to produce more
specific BPs for the actual implementation of OGD, further papers can
fill in the technical gaps, and can be targeted toward the people who
will actually get the OGD process in place (how to coordinate
acquiring and distributing data, how to make the data findable by
human and machine, how to address any security concerns, etc.)

3. The content is necessarily high-level, but I always think that
documents of this sort can benefit from one or two concrete or
hypothetical examples of the possibilities that OGD opens up for both
govs and citizens. Stuff like the Hellenic Shipping maritime traffic
mashup [1]. What if there was a version that showed the location of
all emergency vehicles in a county, for example, or a map of Social
Security offices across the nation. That's the only addition I can
think of at the moment.

Most of the issues I have with the memo are grammatical, and I'm on
the ETF, so I'll save that input for a different conversation.

[1] http://download.hellenicshippingnews.com/img/all_google_map.html

Thanks,
Adam