RE: Public Data Catalog Priorities and Demand

I totally agree with you Antti.  I think data.gov and other government
websites should be looking to use a standards-based data cataloging format
(e.g., extending AtomXML or OPDS) that allows entries link to be data files
or other catalogs.  Similar to sitemaps and HTML, governments would publish
a file at the root of their websites that provides a catalog to the data
files on their site.  By enabling the catalog format to point to other
catalogs, a root catalog could point to sub-department level catalogs
allowing data catalog management responsibilities to be distributed within
an organization.

At present, governments use HTML in a variety of ways for data cataloging.
This looser approach has made it difficult to get one's arms around all of
the data being published at a given site. (e.g,
http://www.atlantis-press.com/php/download_paper.php?id=1763).  IMO, if a
standard data catalog format was used it would presumably be with XML which
would enable individual catalogs to "look" different from one site to
another (using CSS or XSL), but the underlying data structures would be the
same--allowing for machine readability.

By providing access to remote data storage, the Internet has been used to
publish data and documents.  Standard file names (index.htm, main.htm) are
used as HTML entry points for websites.  The default HTML file then uses
hypertext links to provide access to subsequent files.  In the same way HTML
provides links to any file, I believe that standardized catalog files
pointing to sub-catalogs and data files could enable a more searchable and
usable web of data.

Joe