Re: PDF's usefulness to the semantic web

Dave, Bobby,

I think we are talking about ISSUE-18 again here, what standards
besides W3C's should be added to the document. Some comments about this.

I'm sure we all agree on the usefulness and heavy use in government of
several standards beyond W3C's. Said that, here's my rational _not_ to
include those you are referring to (and others).

1) This is W3C and the document is titled? "... of the Web" and I
prefer to stick to Web standards for now. For me, e.g. PDF/A and OOXML
are not Web standards but something you can link to from the Web, as
you can link to a ZIP file. Not an expert in the field and welcome any
additional info but quite sure we could discuss for hours and hours
what is Web and what is not and we would probably have as many
versions as group participants.

2) I would like to see the Web-related use cases to add this or any
other technology and not adding them just for growing the list of
standards referenced in the document.

3) Why add only ISO ones, why not IETF ones or others'?
As an example, I recently learned about the study for the catalogue of
standards usable by governments here in Spain, and heard Miguel Amutio
speak about it saying 400 coming from dozens of bodies were analyzed.
Not to mention other similar initiatives such as the U.S. TRM.

4) We don't have a liaison with ISO and I would prefer this Group not
to make interpretations on the use of standards developed by other
organizations without discussing with them how they fit in our work.

Scoping the Group's work was a difficult challenge and I don't think
that broadening the scope now that the charter is about expire makes
sense.

I think we should disregard this for now but discuss it when
developing the 2nd charter, see if we should work on a broader suite
of standards, setup a liaison with more SDOs, etc.

One more comment, you mention:
> On reading the document several times, it seems uncleaqr if we are
> focused on transient data and remunging such, on archival and
> temporal validation of such.  I think this came through in some of
> the discussions on socila media in the last telecon.

I wish we had some text in the "Long Term" section but we don't yet.
There were former IG Members tasked to provide use cases on the
differences you mention. I remember we were going to get a use case on
"Temporal Data" but unfortunately that didn't happen.

Sticking to the Web standards part above, I think that section was
intended to talk about "Web Archiving" and maybe the closest view is
that of the draft use case John submitted a while ago -- http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/wiki/Use_Case_10_-_Persistent_URIs

-- Jose