Re: Multi-Channel Section First Draft from Ken

Hi Ken,

I am more comfortable with your proposal with regards to replacing
"accessibility" with "availability" though I still think what y'all are
talking about is access. I also think that the digital divide
encompasses more issues than "device", connectivity and accessibility
(such as gender issues, affordability, culture, etc., as evidenced most
notably by the enormous work done in the scope of WSIS) but I understand
that you are probably trying to address specific factors.

However, I must say that I am most uncomfortable with the idea of
limited accessibility for the sake of prioritizing greater availability
or distribution (such as giving examples of library books and making the
analogy with on demand access to closed captioning). As it stands now
and as the field of accessibility evolves, I think that these sort of
statements could go against policies in certain areas with regards to
accessibility of online content and could even be, in certain cases,
percieved as discriminatory. Perhaps I misread your article and if so, I
apologise but in short, I feel that this document should not make
proposals that could be interpreted as suggesting specific policy which
could result in limiting access for certain types of populations.

Best regards,

Catherine

--
Catherine Roy