FW: Government and "web basics"

Kevin, I'm an adherent to Michael Schrages' admonition that good manners
should not be allowed to get in the way of a good argument.
http://mysite.verizon.net/ambur/Discuss.html

I agree that, consistent with their own national strategic objectives and
budgetary priorities, government agencies should try to help less fortunate
nations who are willing and able to establish and be held accountable for
effectively pursuing their own strategic objectives.  (I don't believe in
pouring money down rat holes, even for the best of intentions.)

In the U.S. Federal Enterprise Architecture (FEA) Business Reference Model
(BRM), International Development and Humanitarian Aid is the second
objective under Services for Citizens goal 15 but "foreign economic
development and social/political development" is kind of an after-thought
under the second objective (Global Trade) under that goal.
http://xml.gov/stratml/FEABRM.xml

With reference to OMB Circular A-76 and the FAIR Act, determining what are
and are not "inherently governmental" functions is indeed a key challenge.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/circulars/a076/a76_rev2003.pdf

With respect to IT and IRM, I personally believe that governments should
focus on *data* standards, i.e., the records and elements of data that are
unique to governmental functions.  I don't believe we can truly understand
what our "business" is without understanding the information required to
conduct it.  More specifically, I believe government agencies should specify
and post on their Web sites XML schemas (XSDs) for all of their records,
with documentation elements included within each XSD to provide plain
language definitions of each element in contains.  If that were done, XML
registry services could be built from the bottom-up.  See
http://www.cio.gov/documents/EEIRS_RFI_Response_Analysis.pdf#search=%22OMB%2
0GSA%20metadata%20search%22 & http://xml.gov/registries.asp

A good place to start would be to finalize the XSD for the FEA Data
Reference Model (DRM).  See
http://xml.coverpages.org/FEA-DRM-SchemaDraftV04-20060103.xsd or
http://xml.gov/draft/drm20060105.xsd

BTW, if the Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC) had a strategic plan, it
would already be in the StratML collection.
http://xml.gov/stratml/index.htm#StratPlans  Thus far, I haven't been able
to smoke one out of them but perhaps I will infer a StratML document from
the information they *are* providing on their Web site:
http://www.mcc.gov/about/index.php

Owen