RE: FYI from Today's Washington Post

Thanks Kevin,

I couldn't agree more. The UK Government is also pushing the use of the sitemaps protocol. The motivation is two fold:

a) to improve web search, allowing more content to be indexed and expressing a preferance over which results should be returned from a site, if more than one result is a close fit.

b) to improve the quality of our web archiving activities. We are comprehensively and regularly archiving the UK central government web estate, as part of our "web continuity" project. Sitemaps helps us capture a better archive rendition of a website. "Web Continuity" is our cross government links persistance solution, by the way.

The [UK] National Archives implemented the sitemaps protocol over a year ago, to allow our full catalogue to be indexed. More recently (in the last week!) we have just implemented the sitemaps protocol on the OPSI website - which is the UK Government's official legislation website.

We publish several different renditions of legislation for different purposes (branded, plain, PDF) - and with legislation there are also several documents with very similar titles: the Act itself, the menu page listing the Act, the Explanatory Notes to the Act, any subordinate legislation which commences sections of the Act (which are named after the Act). We use the relative priority in the sitemaps protocol to indicate our preferance to search engines to serve the actual Act in HTML ahead of other formats and related documents. In fact we have set up a very detailed 'priority' scheme that we are surfacing through the sitemaps protocol.

One immediate result of implementing the sitemaps protocol has been with respect to our "two clicks" Key Performance Indicator. The aim of this is to measure how accessible UK legislation is to the public using the web. Each month we take a random set of 100 pieces of legislation and search for them on Google. If the relevant link, one which takes the user directly to the text of the legislation, is served on the very first page of search results, then that item is available in two clicks. If no link to the OPSI website appears in the first page of search results or the user is taken to, say a menu page on our website instead, then it doesn't count. The process of testing this is automated of course, so that it's fair and robust, and we repeat the process each month, with another 100 different pieces of legislation.

Our target for "two clicks" is 80% - and we have just about been meeting that target this year, averaging just over 80%. However, since the introduction of the sitemaps protocol this month, and specifically the use of the "priority" rating, the results have shot up to over 90% - a significant improvement.

John Sheridan

Head of e-Services
Office of Public Sector Information
The National Archives