Re: Looking for support on establishing editing community group

Hey Grisha,

I don't think much has changed. The repo you are referring to is one of the
two repos in use by this editing taskforce (the other one being the input
events one). There is discussion in the issues there every now and then -
mostly on execCommand for some reason. Nothing much has changed from last
year except that there has been some rechartering going on. We already have
this single space so I don't see much of a need to create  a second single
space to do that.

It is true that there hasn't been as much traffic lately as there was at
other times. It was my understanding that this is mainly because the
Chromium project does not either implementing Input Events level 2 or come
up with a counter-proposal that achieves the same thing. Without either one
or the other and given Chrome's market dominance, there isn't really much
for JavaScript editors to get out of this except get Firefox and Safari to
make their custom menus less dominant (Firefox has largely removed their
custom things).

In some ways the Input Events spec is less urgent now than what it used to
be since editors have started working with libraries that simply diff
everything and patch everything instead of trying to do a ton of custom
fixes for individual bugs in each browser.

But yes - Input Events level 2 or some other spec that takes care of IME,
etc. would be very helpful. So if you can get a discussion on that
revamped, that would be welcome.

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 9:22 PM Grisha Lyukshin <
Grisha.Lyukshin@microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> Edge Editing team has been looking for ways to revamp active discussions
> around editing on the web. For greater effectiveness, we should organize
> all editing-related discussions together in a single space. Due to a low
> overhead, community group could be used for that.
>

> Members of the group will discuss new ideas, current work that has been in
> incubation, as well as existing specs that relate to editing area.
>

> The graduation criteria for the idea could be consensus in the group to
> the point where a spec can start being drafted.
>

> I am not sure what the status of https://github.com/w3c/editing is but we
> could use it as a repo. If this repo is no longer active or it cannot be
> used for some reason, we could setup another repo and move existing issues
> there.
>

> Would you be interested in joining or supporting establishing of editing
> community group?
>

> Thank you,
>

> - Grisha, on behalf of Edge Editing team.
>

> Sent from Outlook <http://aka.ms/weboutlook>

http://www.johanneswilm.org
tel: +1 (520) 399 8880