Re: 2 Proposals for Minimum Viable InputEvent

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 5:55 AM, Neil Jenkins <neilj@fastmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Feb 2017, at 02:42 PM, Johannes Wilm wrote:
>
> Ok, but it doesn't take more than a few seconds to break it without really
> trying: On Android, write something, hit bold-button, write something more.
> Result: bold-button is activated but the subsequently typed text is not
> bold.
>

> You were trying the demo integration <http://neilj.github.io/Squire/> I
> presume? A reasonable thing to do I admit, but Squire itself has no UI and
> the demo site was done by an intern 3 years ago; it's not the integration
> we use in production, and it's using an out-of-date version of Squire. I
> must find the time to update the demo site with something more production
> quality.

Right. I have since tried your fastmail, and it looks like richtext editing
is more or less disabled in the mobile version (one only deals with
richtext if one starts writing inside a reply to an email that did have
styling -- and then there are no style buttons, right?). It is reasonable
to disable richtext on mobile -- gmail seems to do the same in the HTML
version. But to me it also highlights two issues:

* Creating editors that work on mobile is unreasonably hard. Instead of
making iOS and Android function differently and continuing the necessity of
diffing DOm structures, etc., it would be helpful if it we could go ahead
with the IME beforeinput event as was planned, as that will at least allow
isolation of IME input and therefore make it easier to support such
scenarios.

* Richtext editing continues to be mainly a desktop thing in the case of
many apps. This is where the priority for richtext editng lies. We should
therefore not make it harder to edit richtext just because things don't
quite work as expected on mobile yet.

> Neil.

Fidus Writer
http://www.fiduswriter.org