Re: web input model (was "Re: The web doesn't need...")

On Wed, Sep 09, 2015 at 06:06:15PM +0200, Johannes Wilm wrote:
> Discussing the purpose of this taskforce with those who have been involved
> in it for a considerable amount of time and are making great progress is a
> bit like going into a shoe factory and trying the people there that shoes
> aren't really needed or that it would be much better if they would produce
> cars, or some such thing.

My purpose isn't to direct you, or to denigrate your work, but to
gauge how our understandings and our goals align or diverge.  The
documentation is a bit thin, so I have questions.  For example, just
what is meant by "caret"?

I have not found where caret is defined, but I have surmised that you
mean the mark that indicates the insertion & deletion points---i.e.,
what I call a cursor.  The caret is drawn by the browser.

What if I would like for my own JavaScript to draw the caret?
Furthermore, what if I would like to indicate the insertion & deletion
points separately when they separate because of line wrapping, read-only
or floating content?

I have a couple of questions, too, about the "Legal Caret Positions"
(http://w3c.github.io/editing/contentEditableEvents.html#dfn-legal-caret
-positions).  Am I mistaken, or is there no legal caret position
at the place indicated by | in the following HTML?

There are, however, legal caret positions at the places indicated by
the two |'s in the next HTML, right?

I have use for all three caret positions,

Dave

--
David Young
dyoung@pobox.com    Urbana, IL    (217) 721-9981