Re: High-level goals and objectives of the Editing TF (was Way forward and IME behavior speccing

> On 16 Oct 2015, at 19:11, Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 2:34 AM, Johannes Wilm <johanneswilm@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hey,
>> I agree with Florian here. This has nothing to do with disabling through
>> preventDefault. PreventDefault is used within the space of web based editors
>> mainly to provide JS editor defined behavior to replace undesired default
>> browser behavior.
>>
>> If one wants to just forbid IME from accessing a site, one would probably do
>> some sniffing to see if the user is on a mobile device and additionally
>> redirect the user to a different address when receiving the first
>> compositionstart event.
>>
>> Or to achieve the other behavior where IME just doesn't produce any input,
>> just cancel the compositionstart, not every single IME-based beforeEdit
>> event.
>>
>> Sorry if that was misunderstood.
>
> Thanks for the clarifications, it's good to know. Unfortunately, it
> still doesn't change the situation.
>
> [...]
>
> Keyboard, including hardware, software, and IME, are all what user
> controls, not editors, browsers, nor even OSs. Programs should respond
> to what user asked.

Depending on which sentence I read, I am not sure if we are it total
agreement or total disagreement :)

As you said, IME is pretty much the same as keyboard input. preventDefault
is able to cancel regular input from a keyboard. This is not a plan,
this is today (see the second example on https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Event/preventDefault).
I don't see the argument for being able to  cancel "A" but not "あ",
or even to be able to cancel "A" if it is input by keyboard, but not
the same "A" if it is input via IME.

And yes, programs should respond to what the user ask. In this case, the
program which is charged with responding to the user is a js program,
not the browser. So it wants to respond to what the user asks for,
not to what the browser wants to do based on what the user asks for.

As part of appropriately responding to user actions, depending
on the exact situation, it may need to cancel what the browser,
which is not aware of the full situation, proposed as a default action.

There is nothing nefarious or anti-minority about that. It's just about
protecting the integrity of your data model, and taking the appropriate
actions at the right time.

 - Florian