Re: Way forward and IME behavior speccing

Please take a look back at this whole story.

It is too complex.

In order to make a good editor, which works in all modern browsers, one is
not missing much.

Go without contentEditable. Implement your own. Implement your own
selection. Your own character insertion, character deletion, paragraph
creation--everything.

That way, you don't have multiple, complex implementations, which some
people worked very hard on, and end up being not so good and not very
consistent.

I bet browser developers would just love to throw in the towel on this one
and say "web developers, you have the DOM, you have modern UI toolkits, you
have lots of libraries--use them and implement an editable element".

Then, when a basic editable element is implemented in JavaScript, each
editor can decide for itself on the semantics of actions, document schema
and stuff.

I've played around with the idea (https://github.com/mightyiam/vegan) (text
there is very outdated-I have some better ideas in my mind now) and it
works pretty awesome and even if I am missing some required browser API
regarding input, that is just minute in comparison with all what you've
been talking about lately.

Why more complex API? Let the web sort it out. Give the minimum required
and make sure it is consistent cross browser. That's it.

If you'd like to join forces on an editor that implements actual editing,
give me a call. I'm funded. Let's cooperate.