Re: Proposal for Input Events - inputType and default actions

On 3/9/15 2:20 PM, Ben Peters wrote:
> Does anyone have thoughts on this?

Hi Ben,

(Sorry for not replying to your earlier request for feedback.)

Re #1 and #2, if you haven't already done as you suggested below, I
recommend you do so.

Re #3 and #4, in the absence of feedback from others, perhaps it would
be useful if the relevant spec text was embellished with an "Issue
Block" that includes a link to the GH Issue as well as explicitly asks
for feedback.

> Is FPWD for Input Events something we want to pursue as soon as possible?

The question about when to publish a FPWD is a good one and although the
Process Document [PD] defines a few formal requirements (namely to
record the TF's consensus to publish the FPWD), there are a few
additional considerations. Because a FPWD (or a follow-on WD per the
Patent Policy [PP]) can be used as the basis for patent exclusions, it
is helpful if the FPWD is feature complete from a "breadth" perspective
although there is *no* expectation the spec is "depth" complete.
Additionally, a FPWD may be published with open bugs and issues.

So, I think a Q for all of us is whether or not the latest ED (not
including potential changes per #1-#4) is essentially breadth complete
re the key features/requirements/use cases we want to address for v1.
And if it is, then the next step would be for me to start a CfC to
publish the FPWD (addressed to the TF which includes WebAppsWG plus HTMLWG).

-Thanks, ArtB

[PD] <http://www.w3.org/2014/Process-20140801/#first-wd>
[PP] <http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Patent-Policy-20040205/#sec-Exclusion>