Re: Proposal + Paris F2F Meetup

On Wednesday 22 July 2015 at 13:53, Johannes Wilm wrote:
> Exchanging the name contenteditable="typing" with contenteditable="intent" is fine with me, given that the following two issues are handled:
>
> A) There was one main reason to allow direct input (not just intents) and therefore for the name cE=typing, and that was inline-IME. As I understand the browser makers' comments, they have figured out how to be able to obtain inline-IME input without changing the DOM (using shadow dom or other technologies) which can be transformed into a series of input intent events after the composition process has terminated [1].
>
> B) There was also one reason to allow caret movement via arrow keys, because doing movement of the caret in the block direction via JavaScript is difficult to impossible. The main issue here is that the JS cannot determine the precise location of the caret when it is at line end or start. Ryosuke Niwa has made a proposal to handle this in the selection API [2]. It would be good if we could agree on putting this into the Selection Api spec or one of the others.
>
> With that issue out of the way, I don't think there is any reason why not to change the name. Is there anything about the contents of the spec that should still be changed, Frederico?
Well, your points “A” and “B” are indeed important for cE=intent to be useful. Having these figured out we should be fine.

Basically we’re talking about closing the current issues on GitHub.

> Ok, where should this go? Into the "contenteditable" draft [3]? For now the intent module would be the only module, right?
Yes, I think that that is the right place for it and yes, “intent” would be the one and only module for now (we may exemplify others, just to make the concept clear).

> What about the input events spec [4]? Should we rely on just catching keypress events, etc. and polyfill the input intents spec, or should we move on towards recommendation of that spec?
I’m not sure we would be able to polyfill all cases (e.g. “undo” from the browser menu), in all devices, taking even Assistive Technology in consideration (maybe this is not a problem, but I’m not sure). I would opt to conclude this spec as well, having the minimum set of intents defined as part of the current TF goal.