Re: on execCommand() and script-triggered copy/cut/paste

On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 2:19 PM, Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen <
hsteen@mozilla.com> wrote:

> FWIW, I believe it's premature to classify those features as "obsolete".
> You're most likely a couple of years away from a point where your specs are
> sufficiently complete and enough implementations are shipped (with enough
> bugs killed) to make it feasible for web developers to start using
> cE=intents. (I think that's an optimistic estimate). Do you want to simply
> forbid developers from developing new stuff with rich text editing
> functionality during the next couple of years? When/if the new stuff is
> ready, it's time to say the old stuff shouldn't be used IMHO.

Some editors, such as Aloha 2.0, Google Docs, the Microsoft Google Docs
equivalent, Codemirror have given up contentEditable=true for 99% of the
editor already. It's just that certain shortcuts are missing which means it
is a lot more complicated to build a non-cE editor and download size
consequently increases.

Most of execCommand is even more obsolete already now. Even those editors
that continue to use contentEditable=true will reimplement almost all the
execCommand actions in JavaScript. It's just that it's impossible to live
entirely without execCommand because certain things are only available that
way.

Fidus Writer
http://www.fiduswriter.org