Re: [dxwg] Dataset series (#868)

From: makxdekkers via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2020 08:23:19 +0000
To: public-dxwg-wg@w3.org
> @makxdekkers is 'Time series' different to 'Evolution'?

That depends on how these things are defined. The way I think about it is something like this:

Time series: a group of datasets that are related along a time dimension, for example a dataset with the budget for 2019 and another dataset with the budget for 2020; so two datasets that contain the same type of data for a different time period

Evolution: a single dataset that is updated '_in situ_' over time with additional or modified data, for example a dataset with year-to-date expenditure data; so a single dataset that changes over time

There are cases where you could model data either way; for example, in the case of YTD information, you could publish a snapshot every time it changes as a dataset with timestamp, or add additional data in the same dataset. It's up to the publisher to decide which one fits the needs of the users. I know a case where a YTD is updated in situ but then published as a snapshot every six months.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by makxdekkers
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/868#issuecomment-652863681 using your GitHub account