Re: [dxwg] How to express available formats for a dcat:Dataservice (#1055)

From: makxdekkers via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 07:18:02 +0000
To: public-dxwg-wg@w3.org

> The cardinality of dc:format looks like an issue with EUs DCAT-AP - DCAT isnt the source of the problem . I dont think DCAT should need to change here. You could choose your own profile which uses an entailment rule to transform to DCAT-AP - thats a system decision what profiles to support. Better to fix DCAT-AP though.

I don't agree. As @matthiaspalmer notes at https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/1055#issuecomment-529869464, the definition of `dcat:Distribution` in DCAT 2014 suggests a Distribution has only one format: "_Represents a **specific** available form of a dataset_". In addition, the definition of `dct:format` in the DCAT spec at https://www.w3.org/TR/vocab-dcat/#Property:distribution_format is "_**The** file format of the distribution_"; **the** format, not **a** format, implying a single one.

Wording is a little loose but the intention was clear.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by makxdekkers
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/1055#issuecomment-530254923 using your GitHub account