Re: [dxwg] How to express available formats for a dcat:Dataservice (#1055)

From: Simon Cox via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2019 08:50:00 +0000
To: public-dxwg-wg@w3.org
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Unfortunately they arrive largely too late to be considered for the current release of DCAT. However, they should be added to the backlog for a future update. The plan is to maintain DCAT as an 'evergreen standard' so revisions should come reasonably frequently. Of course there is also nothing to stop you developing a DCAT extension for data-processing-services to test the waters.

Meanwhile, some observations partly in response to [@smrgeoinfo comment](https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/1055#issuecomment-528939244): since a data-processing-service will usually return a serialized dataset (i.e. a `dcat:Distribution`) then I think it usually is a kind of `dcat:DataService`. (I disagree with @smrgeoinfo here ;-) )

Nevertheless, describing the details of a particular data-service type, or the specifics of a particular endpoint, was considered beyond the scope of this DCAT version. Rather, we delegated those details to external specifications through the values of the `dct:conformsTo` and `dcat:endpointDescription` properties of the service description. Various standards for these already exist, as mentioned in the document.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/1055#issuecomment-529183292 using your GitHub account