Re: Proposal for representing Aggregate Statistical Data

Dan,

Thanks for this. It seems to me that this is not directly relevant for
DCAT, as DCAT does not look very deep into the data itself. It is more akin
to Data Cube (https://www.w3.org/TR/vocab-data-cube/) which was
specifically designed for "multi-dimensional data, such as statistics" and
is compatible with the main standard used for statistical data, SDMX.

Do you know whether the proposed schema.org approach is based on Data Cube?

Maybe you could also try to get feedback from Richard Cyganiak and Dave
Reynolds, the editors of Data Cube.

Makx.

Op di 25 jun. 2019 om 14:32 schreef Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com>:

> This proposal might be of interest here. It should be consistent with DCAT
> in its various flavours, as it is more concerned with the content
> communicated by a statistical dataset. If you have comments please pass
> them along via Guha or myself, or on public-schemaorg@w3.org
>
> cheers,
>
> Dan

> This document can be accessed here.
> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/139jXakeQk4ChwCkGjqq5wJfCPMDnwIV94oCH-JzJrhM/edit?usp=sharing>
>

> Look forward to feedback.
>
> Guha
>
> Representing aggregate statistics
>

> Examples of aggregate statistical reports include those from Census
> Organizations (e.g., American Community Survey), Health Organizations
> (e.g., CDC Wonder) and many others. This is a schema, currently in use on
> DataCommons.org for representing facts stated in these reports. This
> document describes certain general mechanisms for representing statistical
> populations and associated observations. This document will be followed
> later by a companion proposal suggesting some basic common vocabulary
> useful for representing the kind of data released by the US Census, CDC,
> etc.
>
> Our interest is not in describing a data set or mapping columns in csv
> files, but in representing the actual data itself. Other efforts have
> focused on characterizing data cubes in terms of dimensions, etc. While we
> draw upon their work, our goals are different.
>
> Examples of the kind of statistics we would like to represent include:
>
> 1. In 2016, there were 1213 people in East Podunk, California, who were
> male, married, with a median age of 22.
> 2. In 2017, there were 20 deaths in Falooda County where the cause of
> death was XYZ
>
> We will refer to ‘number of people who are male, hispanic’, ‘number of
> deaths where cause of death was XYZ’, etc. as variables. Since the number
> of possible variables increases combinatorially, clearly, we can’t have a
> properties for each variable (or worse, property for each variable x
> years). We need a way of compositional way of constructing variable
> references. We use the concept of a StatisticalPopulation to do this
> construction.
>
> A StatisticalPopulation is a set of instances of a certain given type that
> satisfy some set of constraints. The property populationType is used
> specify the type. Any property that can be used on instances of that type
> can appear on the statistical population. An instance of
> StatisticalPopulation whose populationType is C1, which has the properties
> p1, p2, … with values v1, v2, … corresponds to the set of objects of type
> C1 what have the property p1 with value v1, property p2 with value v2, etc.
> The properties numConstraints and constrainingProperties are used to
> specify which of the populations properties are used to specify the
> population. In the two examples above:

> [...]

Makx Dekkers
mail@makxdekkers.com