Re: [dxwg] refining the definition of profile in response to the poll (#989)

From: tombaker via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2019 08:10:04 +0000
To: public-dxwg-wg@w3.org
@pwin I voted this down because it adds to the original proposal a note of prescriptive intent.  The first half of the definition says what profiles _are_, and the second half (starting with "whereby") is actually a good-practice guideline, though I agree that a profile indeed _should_ remain "compliant" with a base specification.

Also, it is unclear to me what the longer definition is saying.  How can that _context_ of a profile be compliant? What I think you are trying to say could perhaps be formulated as a usage note - _outside of_ the definition per se.  Something like:

    A profile should be compliant with the data specifications
    to which it refers.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by tombaker
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/989#issuecomment-510793753 using your GitHub account