Re: [dxwg] Revisiting the definition of "profile" (#963)

From: Karen Coyle via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2019 17:51:46 +0000
To: public-dxwg-wg@w3.org
I have to say that I really like the essence of this clear, simple definition from the IETF document:

> In the context of this proposal, a profile is a description of the structural and/or semantic constraints of a group of documents.

I'm a bit unclear on the "of a group of documents", but I like the "structural and/or semantic".

Also, I'd be happy to shorten the statement "or provides guidance or explanation about the usage of" in Tom's proposal because the "or"s there saddle us with some language ambiguity: "(or provides guidance or explanation) about the usage" or "(or provides guidance or (explanation about the usage)".

If we approve the definition, I'd like to have a chance to word-smith to make sure that it is clear. My gut tells me that we don't need both guidance and explanation in there, so we could clean that up easily.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/963#issuecomment-510163266 using your GitHub account