Re: [dxwg] dcat conformance question (#967)

From: Riccardo Albertoni via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2019 13:41:34 +0000
To: public-dxwg-wg@w3.org
@dr-shorthair wrote:
> The question is whether a catalog that is designed consistent with DCAT design, but whose contents describe things other than datasets or dataservices, should be considered a conformant DCAT catalog

I tend to say 'yes'. Otherwise, we risk discouraging the use of DCAT in unforeseen scenarios.

Let us be rather inclusive and let the users decide by themselves whether when and how DCAT can serve or not their non-data catalogs.

A catalog of non-data resources would interoperate only on the notion of "catalog" and "resource" but I can't exclude this is useful for someone. Why should we exclude this? Is there any concrete risk I am not seeing?

In my opinion, the overall message of DCAT is clear: "Use it for Data catalog,"  and edge cases like the one discussed by Richard does not put it at risk.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by riccardoAlbertoni
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/967#issuecomment-507269456 using your GitHub account