Re: Regrets

I guess I never did it explicitly, but I meant to vote +1 for publishing
the prof ontology.

Sorry, but for conneg I have to vote -1 until a couple of issues have
been addressed.

We have two outstanding substantial issues with the conneg doc that I
would like to see at least marked prominently. One is the presentation
of the QSA stuff as normative. It should not be normative. Alejandra
pointed that out quite a while ago, I believe, and I agree. The conneg
doc is about a standard for header-based content negotiation, and I
think it is beyond our charter to give normative requirements for a
QSA-based approach to conneg. I thought this was agreed by the editors,
but the document still treats that section as normative.

In addition, I opened a second issue about the use of QSA to specify a
second way of conducting content negotiation rather than as an example
of how to enable discovery and selection of profiles by using query
strings (#544).  I strongly supported a requirement for the latter,
because it is necessary to enable human users to understand what is
available and recognize when the data available are limited to a
specific profile. Enabling multiple ways to handle content negotiation
doesn't seem like a win to me, as using query strings is not a standard
way of doing content negotiation otherwise, so that is a departure from
current conneg standards. It may even be harmful, as it creates
ambiguity as to whether content negotiation is available, since one
would have to check both methods to determine that it was not available.
Rather than addressing the issue of how negotiation obscures the choice
of profile made behind the scenes for human users, it re-creates that
problem in a new form. Finally, this additional approach is introducing
new problems because it requires determination of how to handle
situations where both types of negotiation are attempted.

-Annette

--
Annette Greiner
NERSC Data and Analytics Services