RE: Proposed agenda for DCAT Subgroup 2018.12.19

Regarding 1. – this overlaps with the dct:type concern - https://w3c.github.io/dxwg/dcat/#classifying-dataset-types

From: andrea.perego@ec.europa.eu [mailto:andrea.perego@ec.europa.eu]
Sent: Thursday, 20 December, 2018 02:05
To: alejandra.gonzalezbeltran@oerc.ox.ac.uk
Cc: public-dxwg-wg@w3.org
Subject: RE: Proposed agenda for DCAT Subgroup 2018.12.19

Hi, Alejandra,

I include below a summary and some considerations about Luca's response [1]:

1. One of Luca's comments is about the resource "types" allowed in DCAT (as subclasses of dcat:Resource). Examples of the ones used in EPOS-DCAT-AP are: Equipment, Facility, Publication, Project, Service and WebService. So, the question is whether the WG thinks they are in scope with DCAT (which links to the discussion we had on the risk of being too permissive in what could be put in the catalogue).

2. Luca clarified what he meant with "composition of resources", which I think can be related to the use cases about has part / is part of relationships. Luca's examples are however not only related to datasets (quoting: "[…] an Equipment that includes other Equipments, or a Facility that contains Equipments or …" ). I think this point is relevant to whether has part / is part of relationships can apply to any DCAT classes, or only some of them.

3. About the "project context", Luca confirmed they have requirements here (but he just provided an example), and it may be worth asking him to verify whether they are or not covered by our use cases and, if not, to complement them.

4. Luca provided an example of a Hydra description of a service / API. As it is a real-world example, I think it would be useful to include it in the DCAT spec – provided that Luca's happy with it.

Cheers,

Andrea

----
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-dxwg-comments/2018Dec/0000.html

----
Andrea Perego, Ph.D.
Scientific / Technical Project Officer
European Commission DG JRC
Directorate B - Growth and Innovation
Unit B6 - Digital Economy
Via E. Fermi, 2749 - TP 262
21027 Ispra VA, Italy

https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/

----
The views expressed are purely those of the writer and may
not in any circumstances be regarded as stating an official
position of the European Commission.