Re: Requirements for profiles

Hi,

First I entirely agree with Lars' comments on the media type. To me this is a different level: the use of vocabularies and profiles is not connected to the use of a media type (say, application/rdf+xml).

Then Karen asked for an example for requirement 5.3. I see the Europeana Data Model (or even better, the DPLA metadata application profile [1], which is a built on top of EDM) as a such combination, as it re-used several vocabularies at the same time, by means of 'combination of combination/constraints' for their elements.

Well I must say that I'm not 100% sure at which level the notion of profiles sits in this combination, i.e. whether it's the end result (the DPLA MAP itself) or the various components (i.e. the way EDM 'profiles' DC, plus the way EDM 'profile' SKOS, plus the way EDM 'profiles' OAI-ORE, etc).

In any case I'd say that the 5.3 requirement eventually holds, whatever the view of profile privileged here (perhaps indeed it should be up to our group to make it precise!). To me Ruben's point "conformance to multiple profiles can be indicated (and requested)" is the most important: an (application) profile can be said to be a profile of several pre-existing building blocks, which could be simply vocabularies, or already built profiles.

Apologies if I'm not making sense: the thread has nearly blown my mind - or perhaps it has ;-)

Antoine

[1] https://dp.la/info/developers/map/