RE: Relating versions and UC47 (Define update method)

The problem with dct:hasVersion and dct:isVersionOf is that they are too vaguely defined and people have used them in various ways in various hierarchical and non-hierarchical directions, including editions and adaptations, not just revisioning.

Traditionally people have often used it as I think Rob is suggesting:

Unversioned -> latest version
<http://example.com/page1> dct:hasVersion <http://example.com/page1?version=3>

Versioned -> unversioned

<http://example.com/page1?version=3> dct:isVersionOf <http://example.com/page1>
<http://example.com/page1?version=2> dct:isVersionOf <http://example.com/page1>
<http://example.com/page1?version=1> dct:isVersionOf <http://example.com/page1>

But this convention of hasVersion being only used for the “latest” version, and only the (implied) inverse isVersionOf from the other versions, is not formalized anywhere. Its definition is much wider, like “A related resource that is a version, edition, or adaptation of the described resource.” Presumably this would also cover ‘versions’ like a radio theatre recording of a Shakespeare play.

As I detailed in my blog post on versioning in PAV https://practicalprovenance.wordpress.com/2016/05/07/tracking-versions-with-pav/ we add pav:hasVersion as specialization of dct:hasVersion to formally specify the relation is from an unversion to versioned resource – but it is NOT functional, there can be many versions (and so you can use it to find those versions) So we also have functional pav:hasCurrentVersion – as I point out in the blog that might not be the latest version.

In addition versions are then intra-related with pav:previousVersion (directly) and pav:earlierVersions (transient). We didn’t see a need for a pav:nextVersion as provenance is generally backwards-looking and you can just state the inverse – it is anyway a bit “bad taste” for a resource to decide which are its next versions.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes, eScience Lab
School of Computer Science, The University of Manchester