RE: Profile definition

Hi Ruben,

On Tuesday, June 13, 2017 8:50 PM, Ruben Verborgh [mailto:Ruben.Verborgh@UGent.be] wrote:

> > We are not talking about DCAP, nor specific profiles of DCAT - we are talking about
> the _definition of a profile used in DCAP
>
> Okay; but that wasn't apparent from the mail that started this thread,
> which asks for a "working definition of a profile", seemingly in general.
>
> In any case, this brings us to an important point:
> we should be very precise when talking about "profile" in this group :-)

+1

> So is the question what we (as the DXWG group) will consider "a profile",
> or is this about something more specific?
>
> > The contents of DCAP itself are not particularly relevant here I think.
>
> They aren't; I was only talking about profiles in my previous mail, so if you wish:
>
> – DCAP profile ⊂ ProfileNegotiation profile
> – ODRL profile ⊂ ProfileNegotiation profile
> – DCAP profile ⊄ ODRL profile  and  ODRL profile ⊄ DCAP profile

I find the DCAP definition quite good. The only thing I wouldn't use in a definition of "profile" is the last bullet point:

* defines the machine syntax that will be used to encode the data (Syntax Guidelines and Data Formats)

The machine syntax should IMHO not be part of the profile but defined in one or more schemas (i. e. implementations of the profile), e. g. a SHACL document or an XML schema. We then of course need a machine-understandable mechanism to link profiles to schemas.

Best,

Lars