RE: Profile definition

All,

I don’t have a formally settled definition of profile but just want to point to two more definitions:

1)    In ODRL a profile is something that offers a community a way to specify “a more focussed and specific set of terms that meets their sector's requirements more precisely” and goes on to say that “an ODRL Profile directly and explicitly serves their communities needs by specifying only the terms they wish to support in ODRL expressions.” [1] I think this one is very interesting since ODRL can be expressed using several different media types (e. g. XML, JSON-LD and RDF/OWL) [2] and the profiles apply no matter which media type I use to encode my data.

2)    In the context of profile negotiation, Ruben, Herbert and I agreed on the definition of profile as “a set of structural and semantic constraints of representations, which can apply in addition to syntactic, structural, and semantic constraints defined by a MIME type.” [3]

[1] https://w3c.github.io/poe/model/#profile-motivation

[2] https://www.w3.org/TR/odrl-vocab/#encodings

[3] https://github.com/ProfileNegotiation/I-D-Accept--Schema/issues/11#issuecomment-296628638

Best,

Lars

*** Lesen. Hören. Wissen. Deutsche Nationalbibliothek ***
--
Dr. Lars G. Svensson
Deutsche Nationalbibliothek