Re: Use cases for June 12 discussion

I can see a bit of an impedance mismatch in the process here -  two valid
ways of simplifying the landscape that are perhaps incompatible, signing
off of items quickly and efficiently vs. reducing the number of items by
analysis and design.

In AGILE methodology, its considered good to address the biggest design
risks early.

I think DCAT 1.1 scope is the elephant in the room here

Is DCAT in need of fixes, additional functional scope, or evolving into a
more extensible model?

>From what I can see,  probably all three - but making sure you know how to
handle the extensibility of the scope elegantly will allow us to more
easily triage

for example - from last weeks discussion, versioning is a sufficiently
complex domain there needs to be an extension mechanism for domain specific
versioning models. But we also probably want in built support for a very
simple versioning semantics.  So we could perhaps scope DCAT 1.1 to support
a single trivial versioning and a canonical way to specify an
ObjectProperty with more detailed version model - and a way to declare what
version model is being used.

One could postulate a profile of DCAT with version provenance etc, using
PROV-O or something.  Such a profile would be additive with other profiles
(i.e. DCAT instances may conform to multiple DCAT profiles).

This proto-solution is not necessarily perfect - by I suggest that a Use
Case around DCAT profile management is the most critical to get agreed -
because we can then triage all the other Use Cases against whether they
extend this or require  DCAT 1.1 core changes.

Accordingly, from a design perspective i think we should try to distill
ID26 and ID30 into a coherent Use Case around using DCAT to identify
relevant DCAT profiles with extensions to cover specific topics.

We can then cast versioning, services, data structure, content description
and most of the critical, but complex problems, as sub Use Cases, and
simplify DCAT 1.1 requirements to extension points and identification of
the profile used.

Rob