RE: [vocab-dcat-3] previousVersion, NextVersion, hasCurrentVersions Questions

So it would mean that the inverse property nextVersion can point only to one version and not several ? Is it correct ?

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Andrea Perego <ndr.prg@gmail.com>
Envoyé : jeudi, 15 décembre 2022 20:08
À : Honsberger Martial BFS <Martial.Honsberger@bfs.admin.ch>
Cc : public-dxwg-comments@w3.org
Objet : Re: [vocab-dcat-3] previousVersion, NextVersion, hasCurrentVersions Questions

Thanks for getting in touch with us, Martial.

Please find my replies inline.

On Wed, Dec 14, 2022 at 1:50 AM <Martial.Honsberger@bfs.admin.ch> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a question about the implementation of Versioning in DCAT 3.
>
> Using the dcat:previousVersion, I can find a previous Version of a dataset.
>
> Let’s say we have the following versioning example :
>
> Classification v1.0
>
>             Classification v1.1
>
> Classification v2.0
>
> If I set previousVersion to Classification v1.0 for v1.1 as well as for v2.0, what would be the inverse property nextVersion ? Would it be v1.1 and v2.0 (multiple values) or is it forbidden to set two datasets on the same previous version ?

The purpose of dcat:previousVersion is to create a version chain, and this property is meant to link only to the immediately preceding version of a resource. Re-using your example, the version chain would be specified as follows:

    <Classification v1.1> dcat:previousVersion <Classification v1.0>

    <Classification v2.0> dcat:previousVersion <Classification v1.1>

So, dcat:previousVersion can indeed point only to 1 resource.

You can find more details on the use dcat:previousVersion and of other versioning properties in Section 11 of the DCAT3 specification (https://www.w3.org/TR/vocab-dcat-3/#dataset-versions). This section also includes an example about version chains (https://www.w3.org/TR/vocab-dcat-3/#ex-version-chain-and-hierarchy).

> Furthermore, how is meant to be evaluated the value of “hasCurrentVersion” ? Should this be manually set or would this be “calculated” by means of subsequents previousVersion sets ?

DCAT does not prescribe how to do this. It is totally up to data providers to decide the implementation approach.

Does this answer your questions?

Best,

Andrea