Re: Parameters for metrics - Issue-223

From: Antoine Isaac <aisaac@few.vu.nl>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 10:38:07 +0100
To: Public DWBP WG <public-dwbp-wg@w3.org>, "Debattista, Jeremy" <Jeremy.Debattista@iais.fraunhofer.de>
Hi Jeremy, everyone,

After one hour of tough thinking at the F2F today, we have a problem with aligning whatever solution we have with daq:requires [1] as it is defined currently.

In the end, what we want for metric parameters is properties like :onLanguage used with specific metrics as in the following:
[
  :linksetImportingENSKOSPrefLabel  rdf:type dqv:Metric ;
           skos:definition " Importing on English PrefLabel"@en;
            dqv:inDimension :completenessOfComplemented ;
            :onProperty :skosPrefLabel ;
            :onLanguage <http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/iso639-1/en> .
]
(see ongoing efforts and examples at [2])

Our problem is that is just no way of linking :onLanguage with daq:requires that seems satisfactory. There are indeed two 'alignment' options:

1. If we define :onLanguage as a sub-property of daq:requires, then we get statements like
[
  :linksetImportingENSKOSPrefLabel :requires <http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/iso639-1/en> .
]
which is very confusing for us.

2. If we try to create a (sub) classes of Metric that 'requires' the property :onLanguage like
[
:MetricWithLanguageParameter rdfs:subClassOf  dqv:Metric ;
     daq:requires :onLanguage .
]
This is more intituive object for a daq:requires statement. But it is not compatible with the current domain of daq:requires, which is set to be daq:Metric and not rdfs:Class.

So unless one can solve the issue for us, we will not seek alignment between whatever solution we have for Issue-223 and daq:requires.

Cheers,

Antoine  and Riccardo

[1] http://butterbur04.iai.uni-bonn.de/ontologies/daq/daq#requires
[2]https://www.w3.org/2013/dwbp/wiki/Examples_for_metrics_extra_parameters