Re: bugs in 5.10 Express the quality of a linkset

Hi Antoine,
I revised the example considering the "way  1", see my last push.

On 26 July 2016 at 19:48, Antoine Isaac <aisaac@few.vu.nl> wrote:
> Hi Riccardo,
>
> The gain is 'oriented' so anything that will clarify that it is so will be
> beneficial.
>
> I think this can be done in two ways, depending on which level of
> 'harcoding' of the direction in the metric you prefer.
>

> 1. Adding the statements void:subjectsTarget and void:objectsTarget on the
> Linkset, and declaring that for computing the Metric
> :importingForPropertyPercentage one needs that these statements are present
> on the Linkset. And that what is measured then should be the completion of
> the dataset in void:subjectsTarget using the data from the dataset in
> void:objectsTarget.
> Note that you may also want to reflect the same sort of 'hardcoding' of the
> direction of completion on the :completenessGain Dimension and the
> :complementationGain Category. A dimension that gathers metrics that are
> computed in different directions may be confusing.
>

> 2. Leaving the void:target statements on the Linkset as they are. But then
> the Metric (and the Measurement) needs to have two parameters - one for
> specifying the completed dataset, and one for the completing one.
>
> #2 is more elegant, and it avoids the theoretical hesitation on the
> dimension and the category.
> But it add two parameters, which makes the example much more complex (this
> example is already about two parameters)
> So I'd rather go for #1.
>
> Note that in any case, the following sentence will have to be made sharper
> by mentioning 'subject' and 'object':
> "It quantifies the information gain when adding the preferred labels or the
> alternative labels of the concepts from a linked dataset to the descriptions
> of the concepts from the other dataset, which these concepts have been
> matched with a skos:exactMatch statement from the linkset."

I've tried to make this sentence sharper ;)

> Note also that we can avoid some of the theoretical thinking on the
> Dimension and the Category by removing the :complementationGain Category. I
> think it's not crucial to the example, and its name is not very clear.

I am not sure that deleting this we end up in a clearer example. So I
have left it.

> Finally, as the fact of having different measurements on different days is
> not core to the example, I'd suggest to remove these extra measurements. The
> example is quite complex, already. What do you think?

Ok I have deleted the repeated measurements.
Cheers,
 Riccardo

> [...]
>>> really
>>> represent the fundamental distinction.
>>

>> In the example, we have that some of the measurements done at
>> different date return different values...
>> Which implies some changes have occurred.
>>
>>> Now, maybe the measurement should indicate clearly, which is the dataset
>>> is
>>> the 'completed one' on which the gain is measured, and which the
>>> 'completing
>>> one'.
>>

>> You are right, I just realized  that we were reading  the example
>> differently. I was giving  for granted that dataset1 and dataset2
>> were respectivelly the subject and the object of the linkset, and that
>> is not necessarily the case.
>> In our importing  the complemented dataset is the
>> "void:subjectsTarget", whereas the completing one is the
>> "void:objectsTarget". So probably, we'd better to specify which
>> dataset is the subject and which is the object of the dataset.
>>
>> That can be easily done, by replacing
>>
>> :myLinkset
>>      a dcat:Dataset, void:Linkset ;
>>      dcterms:title "A Linkset between My dataset 1 and My dataset 2";
>>      void:linkPredicate skos:exactMatch ;
>>      void:target :myDataset1 ;
>>      void:target :myDataset2
>>      .
>>
>> With
>>
>> :myLinkset
>>      a dcat:Dataset, void:Linkset ;
>>      dcterms:title "A Linkset from My dataset 1 to My dataset 2";
>>      void:linkPredicate skos:exactMatch ;
>>      void:subjectsTarget :myDataset1 ;
>>      void:objectsTarget :myDataset2
>> .
>> If this is ok for you, I can change it.
>>

>> if you want to see the impact of myDataset1 on myDataset2, you should
>> assess the importing of the linkset myLinkset's reciprocal,
>> :MyLinkset2 which is the linkset we can obtain inverting myLinkset,
>> defined as
>>
>> : MyLinkset2
>>      a dcat:Dataset, void:Linkset ;
>>      dcterms:title "A Linkset from My dataset 2 to My dataset 1";
>>      void:linkPredicate skos:exactMatch ;
>>      void:subjectsTarget :myDataset2 ;
>>      void:objectsTarget :myDataset1
>>   .
>>
>> A side comment: In the LOD,  MyLinkset2 and myLinkset are  very often
>> managed by distinct publishers and in the reality these linkesets
>> might   not to be reciprocal. That is why, I think it is better to
>> treat linkset as "oriented" and  the two linksets as distinct. That is
>> also coherent with the  definition of linkset provided by VoID.
>>

>>> In any case, I'm tempted to put back the 'dataset1' and 'dataset2' into
>>> the
>>> identifiers of the measurement.
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>

>> After my comments, are you still tempted to put back the dataset1 and
>> dataset2? If yes, I would rather suggest to introduce MyLinkset2 in
>> the example, just to make clearer that the linksets are oriented.
>> Thought, i am not sure that level of complexity is worth ..

Riccardo Albertoni
Istituto per la Matematica Applicata e Tecnologie Informatiche "Enrico Magenes"
Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche
via de Marini 6 - 16149 GENOVA - ITALIA
tel. +39-010-6475624 - fax +39-010-6475660
e-mail: Riccardo.Albertoni@ge.imati.cnr.it
Skype: callto://riccardoalbertoni/
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/riccardoalbertoni
www: http://www.imati.cnr.it/