Re: partial review

Hi Bernadette, my responses are inline, as usual. I hope these are helpful.
-Annette

On 4/16/16 10:00 AM, Bernadette Farias Lóscio wrote:
> Hi Annette,
>
> Thank you very much for your detailed review! After receiving more
> feedback from the group, I think we're gonna be able to make some
> proposals for updates. Please, find some comments below.

> <mailto:amgreiner@lbl.gov>>:
>
>     Whew, I've gotten through section 8.7. This is taking way too
>     long, so I'm going to stop at this point and put this out.
>     Following are things that I noticed in a partial read-through of
>     the BP document.
>     -Annette
>

>     General issues
>     --
>
>     Possible approaches to implementation should not include the word
>     "should". That implies normativeness. This is a general issue with
>     implementation sections. We say in the Audience section that "The
>     normative element of each best practice is the intended outcome."
>

> I agree Annette! I think we should also remove this sentence "The
> normative element of each best practice is the intended outcome".
I have no problem with the sentence stating that the intended outcome is
normative. We just need to stick to that and keep the implementation
sections from getting normative. Your comment on the wiki suggests you
want to remove "shoulds" from the intended outcomes, but that is the one
place where they belong. I want to remove them from the implementation.

>     Subtitles should all be written in the same mode. (Mine were
>     written in imperative -- "do this, don't do that", but most are
>     declarative -- "this should be done".) I think imperative is
>     better, because it gets away from RFC2119 keywords, which we voted
>     not to use. It becomes a call to action, which is our goal, right?
>

> "this should be done" reflects the use of the RFC2119 keywords. I'm ok
> with using the imperative mode, but I think we should bring this
> discussion to the group.
>

>     1. provide metadata
>     --
>
>     The intended outcome is "Human-readable metadata will enable
>     humans to understand the metadata and machine-readable metadata
>     will enable computer applications, notably user agents, to process
>     the metadata."
>     This is tautological. Metadata is necessary because, without it,
>     the data will have no context or meaning.
>

> The idea of the intended outcome is to show what it will be possible
> if you provide metadata both human-readable and machine-readable
> instead of metadata in general.
> Please, let us know if you have a better proposal for this intended
> outcome.

The best practice is telling people to provide metadata. Providing it
for machines and humans is a secondary suggestion. The intended outcome
should address the primary suggestion at least.

>     Possible approach to implementation should not include the word
>     "should".
>

> I agree! We're gonna remove it.
Great, we just need to be clear that we are not specifically removing it
from the intended outcomes.

>     Also, I disagree that "If multiple formats are published
>     separately, they should be served from the same URL using content
>     negotiation." publishing multiple files is also reasonable, and
>     it's even what we used in all our examples about metadata. (in
>     BP2, the machine readable example gives the name of the
>     distribution as bus-stops-2015-05-05.csv; in BP4, the entire URI
>     is given, ending in .csv, etc.)
>

> ok! What do you suggest? to remove "If multiple formats are published
> separately, they should be served from the same URL using content
> negotiation" or to change the URIs?
I suggest we remove the sentence.

>     2. descriptive metadata
>     --
>
>     There is an inconsistency between the suggestion that one should
>     use content negotiation for different formats (csv vs. rdf) and the .
>     :mobility and :themes are referred to as URIs, but they are not
>     URIs. (I know DCAT did this, but I think it's a mistake; colons
>     are not legal in the first segment of a relative URI.)
>

> I'm sorry, but I'm not sure if I understood. Why :mobility and :themes
> are not URIs?

The colons are not allowed.

>     3. locale parameters
>     --
>
>     The human-readable example for the first three BPs is exactly the
>     same. Can we make the examples more specific (maybe include them
>     in the doc rather than link to one big external example)? The ttl
>     in the machine-readable example could be trimmed to just the bold
>     parts.
>

> I don't agree with showing the human-readable metadata in the doc. The
> doc is very long already. I prefer having an external example, but we
> can discuss this with group. Instead of splitting the example, maybe
> we can link to specific parts of the page according to the BP.
>
> I think we can make the machine-readable example shorter.
I suggest we keep the external metadata doc for the one BP that just
says to include metadata. It's great for that. For other BPs that just
talk about a small part of the metadata, we can include only the lines
that are relevant. Right now, many of them just link over to the
external doc without even a fragment id, so the user has no idea which
part is relevant.

>     5. Licenses
>     --
>
>     We say "the license of a dataset can be specified within the
>     data". I think we mean within the *metadata*.
>

> I think it should be the dataset instead of metadata because metadata
> is part of the dataset.

Dataset or metadata is fine with me. "within the data" suggests that the
license info would be somehow embedded into a data row, which is confusing.

>     The "Why" misuses the phrase "for example." User agent actions are
>     not an example of data consumer actions.
>

> ok! we're gonna remove it.
>
>     We say "Data license information can be provided as a link to a
>     human-readable license or as a link/embedded machine-readable
>     license." Since licensing info is part of metadata, and we tell
>     people to provide metadata for both humans and machines, we should
>     also require licensing info for both humans and machines.
>

> Do you propose to change the subtitle of the BP?
No, I would just change the "or" to "and" in the implementation. I do
think, though, that "link/embedded machine readable license" is unclear
(Is the solidus indicating another "or" or an "and"? What is being
embedded into what?).

>     6. Provenance
>     --
>
>     The "Why" is pretty sparse and essentially says the same thing as
>     the intended outcome. I think we could make it stronger.
>     "Provenance is one means by which consumers of a dataset judge its
>     quality. Understanding its origin and history helps one determine
>     whether to trust the data and provides important interpretive
>     context."
>

> I agree to improve the Why section, but I think we shouldn't mention
> quality because we already have a BP for data quality.
I don't see why having a BP about quality limits our ability to use the
word elsewhere, but we could use another word instead, like "usefulness".

>     The example links to the metadata example page. It would be more
>     helpful to put the provenance-specific info into the BP doc itself.
>

> I'm not sure. I think if we present just parts of the human-readable
> example it will be out of context, but we're gonna see if it looks nice.

okay, sounds good. At a minimum, we need to link to a fragment id, so
readers can find it.

>     7. Quality
>     --
>
>     We say "Data quality information will enable humans to know the
>     quality of the dataset and its distributions, and software agents
>     to automatically process quality information about the dataset and
>     its distributions." That's rather tautological. We could say
>     something about enabling humans to determine whether the dataset
>     is suitable for their purposes.
>

> Yes, it sounds good! We're gonna make a proposal to change this
> intended outcome. I think we should also dicuss this with Antoine and
> Riccardo.
>

>     We probably should refer to DQV as a finished thing, as it will be
>     soon.
>
>     The human-readable example links to the metadata one.
>

> Ok! We're gonna fix it.
>

>     8. Versioning
>     --
>
>     Of the four implementation bullets, only the last is really a
>     possible approach. The first three belong in the intended outcome.
>

> I'm sorry, but again I think I don't understand. Why the first three
> belong in the intended outcome? If they are intended outcomes, then
> the whole intended outcome section needs to be rewritten. In this
> case, would you like to make a proposal?
The bullets list basic guidelines. They use the word "should" and the
imperative mode. These are evidences that they are guidance for what to
do, not how to go about doing it.

>     The human-readable example links to the metadata one. The version
>     history there lists only 1.1, which is illogical. (1.0 must exist
>     at least.)
>

> ok! we're gonna fix it!
>

>     9. Version history
>     --
>
>     The human-readable example links to the metadata one. The version
>     history there lists only 1.1, which is illogical. (1.0 must exist
>     at least.) This example doesn't meet the requirements of the BP.
>
>     Neither the ttl version nor the Memento example provides a full
>     version history, only a list of versions released. This BP is
>     intended to be about providing the details of what changed.
>
> In the machine-readable example of this BP there is a property
> rdfs:comment to show how the dataset was updated. If this is not
> enough, could you please tell us what else we should present.

A version history is something like this:
http://itol.embl.de/version_history.cgi. I think we could show a few
lines of example text, like

Version 1.1
     Added latitude and longitude fields to bus timetables.
     Added two new bus stops for line 52.
     Corrected spelling errors in street names along the Riverwalk
subway line.
Version 1.0
     Initial release