Re: RFC Words - Levels

Hi Bernadette,
I think it makes the most sense to say a dataset meets a certain level. A publisher may claim “we publish all our data at level 3” as opposed to “we are a level 3 publisher". The latter would require defining what it means to be a certain level of publisher, which doesn’t strike me as worth the effort or the politics. I think publishers should be free to decide for themselves which level they will address for each dataset and each group of BPs, based on their business constraints. We don’t need to define what the various combinations get called; we only need to define the levels and attempt to make everything at one level similar in importance.

It’s an interesting idea to use the characteristics you mentioned to define the levels. The only problem is that I don’t think the characteristics lend themselves well to ranking by maturity. Is trustworthiness more fundamental than accessibility? Different people would answer that question differently. For any single characteristic, there can be multiple levels of maturity in addressing it. I agree that we should split into the least number of levels that works for our BPs, preferably 5 or fewer. I think some BPs will have only one suggestion, which we can still assign a level to.
-Annette

--
Annette Greiner
NERSC Data and Analytics Services