From: Bernadette Farias Lóscio [mailto:bfl@cin.ufpe.br]
Sent: 16 September 2015 02:00
To: Makx Dekkers <mail@makxdekkers.com>
Cc: Data on the Web Best Practices Working Group <public-dwbp-wg@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Versioning

Hi all,

I started the rewriting of the versioning section [1] according to some of the ideas discussed in this thread and it will be great to have your feedback. Please feel free to make modifications or suggestions.

Until now, I just considered data updates. If possible, I'd like to have your opinion if schema updates should also be considered a case of versioning, i.e, when  the schema of a dataset changes, should be created a new dataset or just a new version of the existing dataset?

Thanks!

Bernadette

[1] http://w3c.github.io/dwbp/bp.html#dataVersioning

Laufer,

Thanks for your thoughts.

> I think we are trying here to define the DWBP WG meaning for the term version, that is
> related to BPs "Provide versioning (version?) information" and "Provide version history".

Yes, this was my intention.

> Maybe we would need a new (more general) BP that talks about what metadata would
> be important for datasets that have some type of relations that we are not considering a
> "version" relation.
> (Types of relations that are considered sometimes as a version relation by other groups).

In fact, the DCAT-AP group was hoping that the DWBP WG could provide guidance on this.

Makx.

--

Bernadette Farias Lóscio
Centro de Informática