Re: Webby Data

hello jeremy.

On 2015-10-09 23:12, Jeremy Tandy wrote:
> Now, Eric's point [9] is that there is a "difference between 'web data
> only' and the 'web of hypermedia-driven services'" and that "'webby
> data' is a necessary but not sufficient condition to have hypermedia.
> [which requiresproviding navigational affordances to get things done
> with that data."
> I see that in the vast majority of cases, the data is accessed via a
> service end-point ... even if it is a trivial HTTP Get. But there are
> cases where (as I said in point #3 above) that you simply want to use
> URIs as identifiers. This clearly is not hypermedia. I wonder if there
> are two levels of requirements here? At this point, I'm unable to unpick
> this distinction further, but I'm sure it will be relevant in the

thanks for pointing this out, and i absolutely agree that there are two
levels at play here. one level that's needed for "just data" is the
ability to identify resources, and this is what RDF is all about. and
generally speaking, non-RDF models may want to use similar policies for
identifying (some of their) resources via URI. doing this means that
identifiers are context-free and thus globally usable, which is a very
valuable thing when you start to combine data of various origins.

however, links are a fundamentally different issue. they are not
identifiers of data resources, but instead identifiers of hypermedia
resources which provide support for interactions. in order to be useful,
links must be typed
(https://github.com/dret/hyperpedia/blob/master/concepts.md#link-relation-type),
so that clients can decide which links to follow to accomplish their
application goals.

as phil suggested, maybe it is too ambitious for DWBP to go into the
details of hypermedia, and why and how it matters. but as i said
earlier, it seems to me that in order to make data available on the web,
most often there are services associated with it. even if often just
rather simple ones such as the ability to page through a collection, or
to filter it. providing guidance on how to do this in a webby way would
be very valuable.

thanks and cheers,

dret.

--
erik wilde | mailto:dret@berkeley.edu  -  tel:+1-510-2061079 |
            | UC Berkeley  -  School of Information (ISchool) |