Re: Time-series data, PROV and DQV

Hi Deirdre,

Interesting thoughts.

There's one point however: why would one need to declare dcat:Dataset or dcat:Distribution as subclass of prov:Entity?

In fact I'm a bit lukewarm about what we suggest in DQV's current Issue 6 ("We may want to consider a revision of DCAT to make dcat:Dataset and dcat:Distribution subclasses of prov:Entity").

I mean, such move wouldn't harm, but I think we can use instances of DCAT classes with properties like prov:wasDerivedFrom without having to hardwire sub-class axioms in DCAT.

We're in the open world assumption: as long as nobody has stated that dcat:Dataset or dcat:Distribution is disjoint with prov:Entity, then one can use directly them with any property that have prov:Entity as domain and/or range.
(and actually a reasoner could infer that because the instances of dcat:Dataset or dcat:Distribution can be automatically classified as instanced of prov:Entity because they've been used with the PROV properties)

Cheers

Antoine