Re: [Time sensitive] property names (was: Pre-publication steps)

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the hard work on the final version. I'm going to try and help for the deadline...

As for the naming I'm partly guilty last week after Phil gave the turtle file, I did some changes turning some dqv:hasMetric into dqv:metric. And I may have failed getting them all (though I can't find a wrong dqv:hasMetric in my last version)
The reason for this was to keep consistency with the property we inherit from daQ. daq:metric leads to daq:Metric. And indeed there is a daq:hasMetric that is quite different and that we have not re-used directly (we instead created an inverse property, which is dqv:hasDimension)

Now if we have dqv:hasMetric equivalent to daq:metric this could be also confusing, has we're not following the daQ naming convention (and we use a 'local name' that is already in daQ but with different semantics!).

This being said I understand Phil's point about the property convention: I also prefer the convension :hasX for a property and :X for class.

The problem is that daQ inherits their convention from the W3C DataCube vocabulary, and that we also still have some references to property/classes that follow the :x/:X pattern, such as qb:dataSet/qb:Dataset.

Is there any W3C best practice we could refer to to make one choice or the other? Something like 'use :hasX unless your property is equivalent to an already named ex:x' would be lovely, but I guess it doesn't exist.

And that's the DUV stance on this? At least we could have homogeneity within the group.

A final comment: I don't think we need to make a final call for the WDs to be published on Thursday, but I feel at least we should register an issue about it if we don't have a decision everyone is ok with.

Cheers,

Antoine

On 12/15/15 3:19 PM, Riccardo Albertoni wrote:> IMO, when speaking about  DQV property :hasMetric is  Ok, whilst  :metric is  wrong. :Metric is a class. We have   to pay extra attention  when it comes to  DAQ,  daq:hasMetric and daq:metric are  both valid properties and defined as distinct.