Re: Data Identification section (was Re: reviewing the BP doc)

Hi All,

Again, I am becoming confused.

Why are some of the group arguing that URI is the same as URL?

In semantic web we have the idea that any resource can be identified by a
URI.  An URI is not only http URI.

In Linked Data we have 4 principles. One of them is to use http URIs to
identify resources. Another one is that a URI must be dereferenced
returning info about that resource. We have a double function: one to
identify and another one to locate.

There is a lot of specs and documents talking about these things.

If in our document we are talking about locating some thing, we should use
the term URL. is we are talking about identifying a resource we should use
URI.

I cannot see the problem with this?

But, definetely, URL and URI are not the same thing. Even when they are
sintatically identical.

All the best,

Laufer

--