Re: Data Identification section (was Re: reviewing the BP doc)

The devil is in the detail of the HTTP interaction.

You give your user agent the full URI

http://philarcher.org/foaf.rdf#me.

It then strips off the fragment, because fragments are not transmitted
over the wire, and does a GET on

http://philarcher.org/foaf.rdf.

The server responds with 200 OK, here's what you asked for.

The user agent then looks inside the document received for something
matching the fragment identifier it stripped off earlier. How this is
done is dependent on the user agent and the particular media type.

In this case, an RDF-aware UA now looks for any triples in which
http://philarcher.org/foaf.rdf#me is the subject.

There it finds that the thing identified by
http://philarcher.org/foaf.rdf#me has

foaf:name Phil Archer
foaf:nick PhilA

etc.

Those triples describe the thing identified by
http://philarcher.org/foaf.rdf#me, not the thing identified simply by
http://philarcher.org/foaf.rdf

Does that clarify the situation?

Phil.