Re: Data Identification section (was Re: reviewing the BP doc)

Sorry Annette, on this rare occasion I must disagree with you.

http://philarcher.org/foaf.rdf#me is a URI. It is not a URL as it
identifies a resource, me, that, like any other physical object, or
concept, cannot be obtained over the internet. I do not have a network
location.

http://philarcher.org/foaf.rdf is a URL, it identifies a resource that
does have a network location, i.e. it can be obtained directly over the
internet.

So there's a hierarchy here of URIs, HTTP URIs and URLs.

As evidence, let me quote RFC 3986 (the definition of URIs,
https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3986.txt), section 1.1.3:

1.1.3. URI, URL, and URN

A URI can be further classified as a locator, a name, or both. The
term "Uniform Resource Locator" (URL) refers to the subset of URIs
that, in addition to identifying a resource, provide a means of
locating the resource by describing its primary access mechanism
(e.g., its network "location").

RFC 3987 introduces the even more general IRI which allows Unicode
characters outside the limited ASCII set.

The WG has made it clear that it wants to avoid providing any discussion
of the issue. That seems fine to me as it avoids unnecessary confusion,
BUT, if we're not going to say something along the lines of "we know all
these things are different but for simplicity we'll just use the one
term" then we must use the correct term in the correct place.

Last week we ended up voting on a proposed resolution:

PROPOSED: In general URI should be used in the BP doc, but depending on
the context, URL may also be used.

This didn't meet with consensus - some people were unsure, Tomas was
opposed.

Looking at other W3C specs btw, we use IRI pretty much everywhere. See,
for example, http://www.w3.org/TR/tabular-metadata/.

So the hierarchy is:

IRI
URI
HTTP URI
URL

Therefore, IMO, the correct course of action in this, a technical
specification document, is to use the term IRI except where context
dictates that another term be used.

Phil.

--

Phil Archer