From: Laufer [laufer@globo.com]

Sent: 25 April 2015 15:37

To: Christophe Guéret

Cc: João Paulo Almeida; Phil Archer; Annette Greiner; Eric Stephan; Ig Ibert Bittencourt; Yaso; Public DWBP WG; Bernadette Farias Lóscio

Subject: Re: "machine readable"

Hi All,

I think that any term used to substitute "machine readable" would have the same problems to define.

Being radical, all things transferred via Web are "machine readable" and "machine processable". Computers can read and interpret "0"s and "1"s. Being radical, no thing transferred via Web  is "human readable". A video that can be "read" by a human is first
 "read" by a computer and shown to the human. Human readable things are, for example, texts on books.

When we talk about "human readable" and "machine readable" we are talking about the content, the message. I think we could maintain the term "machine readable". I think people can understand the difference between what is "human readable" and what is "machine
 readable". What we have to do, and that is the purpose of the glossary, is to clarify the term.

I think that a "machine readable" content is when there is an intentional purpose to make that content "machine readable".

So, if in a web page, someone embed RDFa, there is an intention to make that content "machine readable". In this case, a specific technology and specific vocabularies are being used to establish a conversation with a machine. When there is not that intention,
 some formats are more or less easy to try to be understood by machines.

Well, glossaries always have huge discussions. It´s all about semantics. And it´s what we are trying to facilitate between publishers and consumers.

Best regards,

laufer