|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Annette Greiner <amgreiner@lbl.gov>                                                                                                               |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |Steven Adler/Somers/IBM@IBMUS                                                                                                                     |
|------------>
| Cc:        |
|------------>
  |João Paulo Almeida <jpalmeida@ieee.org>, Bernadette Farias Lóscio <bfl@cin.ufpe.br>, Eric Stephan <ericphb@gmail.com>, Ig Ibert Bittencourt       |
  |<ig.ibert@gmail.com>, João Paulo Almeida <jpandradealmeida@gmail.com>, Phil Archer <phila@w3.org>, Public DWBP WG <public-dwbp-wg@w3.org>, Yaso   |
  |<yaso@nic.br>                                                                                                                                     |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |04/27/2015 02:20 PM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  |Re: "machine readable"                                                                                                                            |

I think this discussion needs to be based more on the specific contexts.
Whether it is the best term depends on the context in which the term is
used.

I think that there are some places in the BP doc where “machine readable”
alone does make sense, but it is too low a bar to use alone in some places
where we currently have it. I think it’s fine in the list of challenges,
and in BP6, but not in BP7 (“in a machine readable, standardized form”
would work there) or BP8 (could be “in a machine readable and standardized
format”). In BP12, it is passable, as the sentence that follows it
discusses standardized formats. For BP21, “machine readable” alone is not
sufficient. Pondering that BP leaves me wondering (again) how we think
people should make a machine readable representation of the reason a
resource is no longer available.
-Annette
--
Annette Greiner
NERSC Data and Analytics Services

On Apr 27, 2015, at 8:07 AM, Steven Adler <adler1@us.ibm.com> wrote:

      Since we don't have robots with the ability to "read" data like
      humans do, I agree it is the wrong term.  But it is the term everyone
      uses and imperfect as it is it is what it is and we have to use it
      too.

      Best Regards,

      Steve

      Motto: "Do First, Think, Do it Again"

      <graycol.gif>João Paulo Almeida ---04/24/2015 01:23:35 PM---Dear All,
      I too find the qualification ³machine readable² quite problematic.

 <ecblank.gif <ecblank.gif>
 >            João Paulo Almeida <jpalmeida@ieee.org>

 <ecblank.gif <ecblank.gif>
 >            Phil Archer <phila@w3.org>, Annette Greiner <
       To:    amgreiner@lbl.gov>, Eric Stephan <ericphb@gmail.com>, Ig
              Ibert Bittencourt <ig.ibert@gmail.com>, Yaso <yaso@nic.br>,
              Public DWBP WG <public-dwbp-wg@w3.org>, Bernadette Farias
              Lóscio <bfl@cin.ufpe.br>

 <ecblank.gif <ecblank.gif>
 >            04/24/2015 01:23 PM

 <ecblank.gif <ecblank.gif>
 >            Re: "machine readable"
       Subjec
       t:

      Dear All,

      I too find the qualification ³machine readable² quite problematic.

      I raised this last year in the scope of the UCR document:

      > About the whole ³machine readable² debate, it is of course a
      different
      >story:
      > http://www.w3.org/2013/dwbp/track/issues/36

      > Similar to Makx, I find it hard to live with the sloppy ³machine
      >readable² qualificationŠ  but, in order to come to a constructive
      > suggestion for this other issue as well, perhaps we could say:

      > R-FormatMachineRead(able)

      > Metadata should conform to standard formats that aim at
      facilitating
      >automated processing

      I would prefer avoiding machine readable. ³Structured² could help
      informally, but is also not precise.

      We need to state the quality we want this artifact to have. Perhaps
      it is
      that it is "amenable to automated processing", but this could of
      course
      also be interpreted as vague and too broad.

      Makx said "Maybe the requirement is rather that data should be
      published
      in formats that are appropriate for its intended or potential use?²
      This
      is the key aspect: making explicit the quality that the artifact
      needs to
      have such that it can be used.

      I would say that ³structure² is needed because we use the structure
      document interpretation rules to establish the semantics of
      "structured
      data². But that is not enough...

      Regards,
      João Paulo