Re: Status on Action-174 ?

Hi Laufer,

Please see my comments to you and look at the current definitions.  If you
have other better referenced definitions please make a recommendation.

Thanks,

Eric S

My comments to you....

>> I think that annotation has a meaning defined by the Web Annotation WG
that embraces a whole architecture around the process of aggregating data
to a previous data. We have to take a lot of care if we decide to use the
term annotation with a different meaning.

Agreed.   This is why I've defined Annotation in the Annotation glossary
term and Annotation#Motivation in the feedback definition along side SIOC.

Annotation:
From: Annotation
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/WD-annotation-model-20141211/#annotation> An
Annotation is a web resource and should have an HTTP URI. Typically an
Annotation has a single Body, which is a comment or other descriptive
resource, and a single Target that the Body is somehow "about".

Feedback:
From: (1) SIOC <http://rdfs.org/sioc/spec/#sec-modules-types>, (2)
Annotation#Motivation <http://www.w3.org/TR/annotation-model/#motivations> (1)
A forum used to collect messages posted by consumers about a particular
topic. Messages can include replies to other consumers. Datetime stamps are
associated with each message and the messages can be associated with a
person or submitted anonymously. (2) To better understand why annotation
(See Annotation) was created SKOS <http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/> is
used to show inter-related annotation between communities with more
meaningful distinctions than a simple class/subclass tree.

>> Citation is also a word that has a strong established meaning. It is a
reference from one work to a previous one. I understand and agree that is
valuable to have a list of other materials that use a Dataset but, IMO, I
would not call this as citations (they are a kind of rdfs:seeAlso). I think
we have to separate this two things: a reference that a material makes to
the Dataset, and references that the Dataset makes to other materials

Currently I'm using the definition in CiTO for citation

CitationFrom: CiTO
<http://www.essepuntato.it/lode/http://purl.org/spar/cito> May be either
direct and explicit (as in the reference list of a journal article),
indirect (e.g. a citation to a more recent paper by the same research group
on the same topic), or implicit (e.g. as in artistic quotations or
parodies, or in cases of plagiarism).